Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 11:38:09 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Jeremy Karlson <karlj000@unbc.ca>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Craig Harding <crh@outpost.co.nz>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL nonsense: time to stop

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 11:18:42AM +0100, Nils Holland stood up and spoke:

> This is another issue. In theory, this "work" on re-writing what we already
> have, only to make it GPL-free, would probably be much more needed
> somewhere else - for example for working on some completely new programs.

May I reply to my own message? Ok, well, the stuff mentioned above would
indeed have some more weird implcations.

Imagine we started to re-write all GPL code currently in use. That would
take us, well, let's say a year or two. While the rewrite is in process,
there may be some things that users would need much more. Although it isn't
true, let's assume that FreeBSD only supported IDE hard disks up to 8.4 GB.
Now, this would be something that we'd better get fixed, but as everybody
is concentrating in rewriting GPL code, we cannot fix it (replace the hard
disk example with anything else that comes to your mind, the effect would
be the same).

Now, what would happen? Users, who generally care most about the
functionality a system has to offer, while BSDL vs. GPL is probably
something they don't care about, would leave FreeBSD and go to some other
system that does already provide them the functionality they need. After
the rewrite, when we can finally look ahead once again, we'd probably have
lost a whole bunch of users.

Additionally, the FSF guys would probably find us rewriting GPL code very
interesting, too! *They* might propagate that not they are the fanatics,
but we are, since we basically lock up our project only to get free of any
code that is under their license.

Practically, FreeBSD is a volunteer driven project. We don't have the
resources as big companies do, and therefore, an effort to totally get free
of GPL code would indeed be a major waste of resources.

What does this tell us? Probably that totally getting rid of GPL code is
not practically possible. However, I fully agree with suggestions that say
that care must still be taken, in order to prevent the camel / gnu to get
into our tent and further than we can possibly stand...

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany