Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:08:10 -0600
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.1-STABLE dies on 40+ connects

On Mar 03, 1999 at 04:38:24PM -0800, David Greenman wrote:
> >Can someone give a short explanation (or a pointer to the relevant code)
> >as to exactly when a NMBCLUSTER comes into play, instead of using a long
> >mbuf chain?
>
>    mbufs and mbuf clusters are allocated from the same VM map (chunk of kernel
> virtual address space). It's the space in the VM map that is actually running
> out, so allocating one type of buffer over another isn't a solution.

So that would explain why I see the peak value for NMBCLUSTERS
exceeding the max; the system allocated more, and then ran out of
space in the vm map.

But what I was really asking was at what point does the system decide
to put data in a cluster as opposed to putting it into a normal mbuf
and then tacking it onto the mbuf chain?  As I understand it, the NIC
DMA's data directly into mbufs on it's receive ring; are these then
passed to ether_input.  Are the buffers that the NIC uses always clusters?
--
Jonathan