Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2000 12:41:54 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Jay Nelson <noslenj@swbell.net>
Cc:        jle@gtonet.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Identity theft (was: Re: load spike strangeness)

> On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Eivind Eklund wrote:
> >> It seems that nothing stops the NSA -- not even the law, so I'm not
> >> sure that's worth worrying about.
> >
> >That depends on what you are doing - if what you are doing is related
> >to making it easier to detect and/or hinder NSA's spying on you, it
> >can be a worthwhile goal.  And I tried, mostly as an intellectual
> >exercise, to keep that level of security around the nym that I used.
>
> This is an interesting topic, but one best left to another venue. Were
> you succesful in maintaining that security? You mentioned in you
> earlier post that it was broken. How?

Because I trusted some friends enough to let them learn the connection
between the broken nym (let's call it a) and another nym (let's call
it b) I was running.  At a later point in time, I decided to "cash in"
b - I revealed that I was running b, thus claiming credit and taking
responsibility for everything b had done (it landed me my first
full-time programming job.)

A while after this, one of my friends referred to "a/b" instead of "a
and b" in a magazine article, thus revealing that they were run by the
same person.

I do not know of anybody that has traced this connection, but I still
regard the intended secure nym as broken - I know it is possible to
trace back.

Eivind.