Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2001 11:57:49 -0800
From:      Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        heckfordj@psi-domain.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail Question

heckfordj> Quick update, I just set mail.local SUID.
heckfordj> I noticed from reading /usr/src/UPDATING that this
heckfordj> was disabled (I built the sendmail binary and tools
heckfordj> myself)

heckfordj> Just wondering, what was the reason for this? Will a
heckfordj> security vunrability arisin from setting mail.local
heckfordj> SUID?

No, it is ok to set mail.local to be set-user-id.  It was removed as it is
better to have as few set-user-id programs on the filesystem as possible.
sendmail can run mail.local as root using the F=S mailer flag.