Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 16:48:04 -0500
From:      Jamie Clark <jamie@erinet.com>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
Cc:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q: Opinions on which Tape Drive to Buy?

Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:

> >David Kelly wrote:
> >> http://www.basoncomputer.com was advertising an Archive 4326 for $399.
> >> Not sure if that price was updated on their web page or not.
>
> >It's listed as a Conner 4326 for $399.  Is DDS-2?  I can't find out any
>
> Yes, this drive is DDS-2.
>
> >product specifications via the net.  The Conner site is seagate and the only
> >tape drives they offer info on is the retail.  None of the Conner line is
>
> Did you check out the tape support section?
>
> Try http://www.seagate.com/support/tape/tapeinfo/w4m_med.shtml
>
> >available.  I'm wandering about compatible SCSI cards, software to drive it
> >in Windoze 95, is one tape included, the which 3M tape do I buy, error rate,
> >MTBF
>
> If it's a standard SCSI tape drive (which any modern DAT drive would
> be), there is no such thing as "compatible SCSI cards".  You need to
> worry more about which SCSI cards are compatible with FreeBSD.
>
> Any DDS-2-certified tapes will work.  A refurbished drive will
> probably not come with anything other than the drive (no free tape, no
> manual, no cable, no power cord, etc.).
>
> I don't think Win95 has a SCSI backup program, but Windows NT does.
> Win98 beta supposedly does, also.  You can buy backup software for
> Win95 for ~$75 (Seagate Backup Exec or something like that).

I called Bason Computer.  They said that the Conner 4326 for sale is a bare
drive.  I have an Adaptec AHA-2940UW PCI card.  Could you provide specifications
on what cable to connect the two together?  I know that the tape drive is single
ended, but I didn't see any SCSI cable described as single ended at
http://www.cdw.com/  I would appreciate some guidance in this selection.

Thank you,

Jamie