Date:      Sat, 02 Apr 2005 09:36:27 +0400
From:      "Andrew P." <infofarmer@mail.ru>
To:        Phil Brennan <phil.brennan@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: About FreeBSD and Solaris

Phil Brennan wrote:
> On Mar 30, 2005 8:58 PM, Andrew P. <infofarmer@mail.ru> wrote:
>
>>Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

>>>Please use something else than MySQL as benchmark, as MySQL has
>>>well-known issues with FreeBSD's threading model.
>>>
>>>DES
>>
>>Latest talk on the Net suggests that freebsd is a
>>perfect choice for mysql-based database, but you
>>should compile it (mysql) with linux threads enabled.
>>
>>I think Yahoo has used mysql on freebsd for years
>>on end. They have switched their core db units to
>>linux-oracle, though.
>>
>>Andrew P.
>>

> Could you provide urls for this latest talk?
> From the testing in that benchmark that I posted, kse threading seems
> to be as good as linuxthreads, but not enough to catch linux or
> solaris.

What part of it? Yahoo using mysql was in some
mySQL manual, Yahoo using freebsd was everywhere,
Yahoo switching to oracle was in the news couple
of months ago, Yahoo switching to linux was also
in the news - and it was explained by linux being
a supported platform for oracle, while freebsd
being not, and linuxthreads being greater for
mysql/freebsd was in that excerpt by a prominent
mysql evangelist.

Googling for the very last, I only found this:
http://software.newsforge.com/software/04/12/27/1243207.shtml

quoting:

FreeBSD 5.3 did relatively well in both KSE and linuxthreads mode,
although with all the work that's been done in the SMP and threading
realms, I was a little disappointed with the results. Still, it seems
that the native threading model for the production release of FreeBSD-5
is ready for prime time, and can replace the long-standing FreeBSD
convention of using linuxthreads with MySQL.

For FreeBSD 4.11, however, linuxthreads definitely helped with
performance (and in many cases outperformed FreeBSD 5.3). With libc_r,
performance lagged far behind linuxthreads for many tests, and there was
little scalability. I would say it's highly advisable to build your
FreeBSD 4.11 MySQL binary with linuxthreads.