Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 1997 09:14:54 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Odd out-of-swap condition; ideas?

> >The conclusion reached from this is that the display process has
> >somehow managed to own a lot of swap that wasn't attached to it.
>
>    Are you sure that the display proc had no children (which may have gone
> away when the system killed off the parent)?

Over its lifetime it would have forked a lot of children (about 2-3
every 5 seconds), but there were none in the 'ps' listing so I am
presuming that they were reaped successfully, as they normally are.

At the time of that last ps listing, there were only about 40 procs in
the system total, with the display (40M) and the X server (~5M) being
the two largest.

One other idea that had occurred to me; does the VSZ include the size
of the stack?

mike