Date:      Fri, 08 Mar 2002 03:56:36 -0700
From:      Scivitri Scarzam <scivitri@kithven.net>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Linux 'emulation' documentation

Hello,

I've been trying to install/get working Linux Binary Compatibility on my
FreeBSD machine.  To this end, I've been following the instructions in the
neighborhood of
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/linuxemu.html and
have come across rather an interesting problem.  I am, of course, doing
this because I have a particular Linux binary I need to run, and I'm
following the documentation because, well, my Unix/BSD skills aren't what
I'd consider my ideal.  And, as I rather expected, once I got everything
installed my app complained about a missing shared library.

So, I start reading what to do when this occurs, and am struck by a rather
amusing problem in your documentation.  See, it assumes I have access to a
Linux box, to get these shared libraries off of.  And, while trying to
think who I know who might possibly be running a Linux box I could get
these files from, I gradually start to wonder if everyone else has both a
Linux and FreeBSD box, and just likes to run their Linux programs on their
BSD machine to cause themselves needless grief.  Because that's about the
only reason I could see for the documentation seeming to not acknowledge
any other option.

Anyway, that's it for my middle of the night ramblings.  I'll go try and
find a Linux machine now.  But I thought I ought to point out this bit of
oddness, in passing.  :)

- Scivitri