Date:      Sat, 3 Apr 1999 21:59:47 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Chuck is cute

> > > As a technology, they discourage storageless browsing devices.
> >
> > Cry me a river.
>
> Yes, everybody runs a PC with MS-Windows 95/98 and Internet Explorer.
> Considering anything else is just a waste.

Yes.  Anything which would get access technology into economically
depressed regions at the price of not sending license fees to
Redmond should be fought tooth and nail as damaging to innovation.

$30-$50 devices are especially damaging to the Internet, as they
would let all the riff-raff in to bother all us AOL users by seeking
to use it as a tool in resolving their immediate mortal needs, like
increasing crop yields beyond subsistance levels, taking all of the
bandwidth away from more useful things like 20Mb dancing baby AVI and
other such socially redeeming stuff.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---