Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 2020 18:39:49 +0100
From:      Tomasz CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info>
To:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD 12.0 end-of-life

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 3:51 PM Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Feb 2020 at 05:37, Tomasz CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info> wrote:
> >
> > Maybe its a time to give OpenBSD a try..
>
> I really don't understand this comment, either. Certainly give OpenBSD
> a try and if it fits your needs better that's great.
>
> As far as I'm aware OpenBSD issues a release every six months and
> supports the most recent two releases, so it seems odd to me to
> complain about FreeBSD's ~1 year minor release support lifetime and 5
> year stable branch support lifetime in that context.

Its more like "lets try if what I need works better over there". Not
really the release timeline.

The release timeline problem is more related with pushing untested
features (and possible avalanche of solutions that introduce yet
another complications that we observe right now).

"The BSD Way", for me, was always about "it works solid or its not
there". Like macOS / iOS.

Unlike "The Linux Way" where things changes upside down from release
to release and each one of them has its own universe of variants. Like
Android.

I am not sure if it is that important if there is a release in 6 month
or 2 years. Not a problem at all. If in two years I get a 5 new
features that work rock solid then it seems a better choice than
getting new features every six months and have more problems on a
production because of that.

If I need to experiment there is a CURRENT branch. For well tested
features I have STABLE. For rock solid "I bet my money on that" I have
a RELEASE. Right?

I did miss the 12.0 EoL kind of fix for DRM, sorry, it seems
reasonable. I am just worried that 12.2-RELEASE will have the same
problems, if not more new problems.

Maybe I should go back to 11 and see how things work over there :-P

Tomek