Date:      Tue, 13 May 1997 22:40:49 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, jimf@lodgenet.com
Subject:   Re: bsd.lib.mk

In message <199705140346.NAA26729@godzilla.zeta.org.au> Bruce Evans writes:
: ld -x is to strip local symbols.  This saves space and time, perhaps a
: whole 200K for all libraries and 10 seconds for `make world' :-).

Is that 10 seconds normalized to a PPro-266 + FAST scsi, or a 386-SX25
with 8M of memory :-)

Warner

P.S. I was able to get FreeBSD installed on the latter last night
(well, modulo the disk problems with the old 80M ESDI drives).  4M was
too small and I was able to load the install program, but not execute
any commands for want of swap space.  Didn't have 256K simms around to
try to 5M or 6M machines.