Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 10:36:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   MP & kernel threads (Was Re: solaris is free.)

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:
> I had lunch with a group of ISPs today, and two of them were telling
> me how they had more or less completed their migration from Linux to
> FreeBSD, mainly because of the stability of FreeBSD SCSI support.  One
> thing they were really missing was kernel threads: they found that a
> Linux box maxed out at about 25 hits per second, and the same box
> would pass 90 hits per second because of kernel threading.  They
> hadn't been able to max it out under FreeBSD, but there was no reason
> to believe it would perform as well as Solaris.
>
> Solaris isn't all bad.  I'm getting the feeling that threads and MP
> support are going to make or break FreeBSD.

Yes, I agree that (kernel) threads and MP are critical to present and
future performance.  As a case in point, I've been writing database code
for which the performance completely depends on kernel threads.  I figured
that by the time I really needed the kernel threads in order to do
performance testing that they would be there, but large portions of my
code are almost working now, and still no kernel threads. =( Time to try
hacking on the kernel, I guess.

Jason

Jason Evans
Email: [jasone@canonware.com]
Web: [http://www.canonware.com/~jasone]
Home phone: [(650) 856-8204]
Work phone: [(408) 774-8007]
Quote: ["Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration" - Thomas Edison]