Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 1997 19:53:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        garbanzo@hooked.net (Alex)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world bombs out?!

> After following the threads on parallel buildworlds I decided to try it
> for myself.  So I rm -rf'd /usr/obj (after chflags -R noschg /usr/obj),
> tweaked /etc/make.conf (uncommented the CFLAGS line, as -pipe looked like
> a good idea), and ran make -j2 world in /usr/src.  Strangely enough it
> decided that it couldn't make /usr/obj/usr/src/usr.bin/make.  After a few
> make cleans, and buildworlds, I found that leaving out the -j2 seems to
> allow it to build.  What's the story here?  Is there something else I'm
> missing?

Supposedly, you can do a make depend without a -j2, and if you do, it will
allow a paralllel make world to succeed.  Somone said they had to the
the "includes in the object tree" step as well.

Basically, whatever dependencies are stomping you really belong in the
makefiles.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---