Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 2003 23:51:51 +1100
From:      "Jan Mikkelsen" <janm@transactionware.com>
To:        "'Chris Bowlby'" <excalibur@hub.org>, <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: multiple SSL key's on one IP several Vhosts...

As someone else wrote, the problem is that the SSL handshake happens
before the HTTP host header is sent by the client saying what it is
after.  Because the server DNS name is embedded in the certificate used
in the SSL handshake you are forced into a one to one mapping of virtual
hosts and IP addresses.

There is a solution:  Include the host name in the initial SSL (now TLS)
handshake so the server can choose the right certificate to use during
the TLS negotiation.  There is a standards track RFC covering this
(along with a generalised extension mechanism and other stuff) in the
RFC editor's queue.  This means that the limitation will be less of an
issue once some portion of the browser population implements the RFC,
which is probably not the timeframe you are after.

Regards,

Jan Mikkelsen