Date:      Wed, 7 May 1997 19:14:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Jay D. Nelson" <jdn@qiv.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Followup: (Re: Current status of msdosfs (yet again))

It appears the msdos filesystem is working just fine. I have a Dell
Dimension with a cdrom hanging off a vibra 16 sound card, one ide 1.6Gb
IDE disk, P133 upgraded to 2.2.1-RELEASE off the WC CDROM.

 1. I mounted the dos slice,
 2. tared the whole file system to /usr/tmp,
 3. rebooted in virus mode,
 4. deleted the dos slice,
 5. recreated it,
 6. formated it,
 7. sys'd the new slice,
 8. renamed io.sys and msdos.sys (to maintain their positions on the disk)
 9. then rebooted back to the real world,
10. remounted the dos slice (no errors),
11. untarred the original tarball,
12. deleted io.sys, msdos.sys and mv'd the renamed counterparts to *.sys

The end result is a dos/windows system that works as well as it did
before, absolutely no errors or corruption and a convenient place to stick
seldom used tarballs. I've created and deleted complete trees as well as
files with no problems. If there are any problems, I haven't seen them.

My compliments to those of you who made this work.. Thanks.

-- Jay