Date:      Wed, 06 Oct 1999 16:27:52 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        J McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux convert...

J McKitrick wrote:

> Will it be difficult to upgrade to 4.0?  I just got 3.2, and i am leery of
> updating to 3.3 and breaking my system (even though it has features i
> could use) since i've seen some problems on the questions list.

Well... you know, there are hundreds of thousands of FreeBSD users,
and some then are bound to have problems. And, when they do, the
appropriate channel for them to seek help is -questions. So, I'd not
let problem reports on -questions stop you. Just make sure to read
the release notes and the errata.

> Won't 4.0 be even more likely to do that?

It sure will. One of the main causes for problem report is failure
to read the release notes. As the system changes, people need to do
special procedures during the upgrade, such as moving from an aout
to an elf world, installing new boot blocks, or changing certain
configuration files. We try to keep this to a minimum, but not at
the expense of evolution, so there are always some of these things
in the way. Like any major release upgrade, 4.0 will have a number
of these problems, much more so than a simple minor release (which,
in principle, shouldn't have any at all). People who read the
release notes, pay attention to the errata, and, generally speaking,
follow the upgrade procedure correctly and don't screw up, will be
fine, though.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"I always feel generous when I'm in the inner circle of a
conspiracy to subvert the world order and, with a small group of
allies, just defeated an alien invasion. Maybe I should value myself
a little more?"