Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 18:14:25 +0100 (MET)
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Example of mentor page

Regarding the mentoring possibility I just sent a message about - here
is a suggestion for a web-page to better describe what I was talking
about:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN" [
<!ENTITY date "$Date: 1997/11/17 17:27:00 $">
<!ENTITY title "FreeBSD Mentor Project">
<!ENTITY % includes SYSTEM "includes.sgml"> %includes;
]>
<!-- $Id$ -->

&header;

parties developing from FreeBSD a channel into the formal FreeBSD
development process.  This is not intended to be a replacement for the
normal mailing lists, but a way for outside developers to get certain
way of getting timely feedback and integration.</p>

subject of "Call for Mentor" or similar, with the body of the mail
containing a small description of your interests and what kind of
project you are doing or are interested in doing with FreeBSD.

<ol>
<li><p>Giving information on the FreeBSD project structure where that
is unclear to the mentoree.</p>
<li><p>Answer questions relating to the mentorees FreeBSD devlopment
project to the best of his/her ability (in the cases where it isn't
obvious that this should go to a larger audience).</p>
<li><p>Set the mentoree in contact with other FreeBSD developers in
the cases where it is obvious that this is something that should be
done in collaboration with another developer.</p>
</ol></p>

normal responsibility of attempting to gain knowledge from
documentation and source before contacting using other people's time.
A mentor can reject a mentoree at any point (how could we stop this?),
but should not do this without a good reason.  Examples of reasons
include abuse of the mentors time by the mentoree, and the mentor just
plain running out of time</p>

&footer