Date:      Wed, 03 Jul 1996 23:15:12 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sorting Incoming Mail

Annelise Anderson wrote in message ID
<Pine.BSI.3.94.960703141941.4397A-100000@andrsn.stanford.edu>:
> This could be done by creating users for the various lists, but
> then one would have to log in as these various users to read the
> mail.  Is there a better way to do this--e.g., using /etc/aliases
> and procmail (procmail seems rather complicated to set up)?

There are 2 solutions. procmail is what I personally use, but if you
use MH or have MH installed, you can also use `slocal'. My procmail
setup at the minute is fairly simple. If there is an `X-Loop:' header,
it goes into an `in-freebsd' file, otherwise it gets dropped in my
mailbox. That way personal mail (or urgent mail) is read first...

Here is a bit of my older procmailrc which DOES separate out by lists:

:0:/tmp/.maillock-hackers
* ^Sender.*owner-freebsd-hackers
/home/gpalmer/Mail/in-hackers
:0:/tmp/.maillock-hackers
* ^Sender.*owner-hackers
/home/gpalmer/Mail/in-hackers
:0:/tmp/.maillock-ports
* ^Sender.*owner-freebsd-ports
/home/gpalmer/Mail/in-ports
:0:/tmp/.maillock-ports
* ^Sender.*owner-ports
/home/gpalmer/Mail/in-ports

Note that I was never very sure which `owner' each list had, so I went
with both just to be sure (I think at one point some lists had
`owner-freebsd-foo' and others had `owner-foo', and I could never be
bothered figuring out which was which :-) )

As I use the emacs MH interface, all I need to do then is hit CTRL-U i
and select which maildrop I want to `inc' from.

Whoops, nearly forgot: elm has a `filter' program too, but I would be
careful of that one, it coredumps on mails with long Subject: lines.

Gary