Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 1999 22:27:08 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jonathan Fosburgh <jef53313@Bayou.UH.EDU>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Almost 100% successful upgrade 2.2.8->3.1-BETA

I completed my upgrade to last night's 3.1-BETA with only one or two
heart-stopping moments. ;) The only thing that remains is a problem with
ldconfig.  It creates /var/run/ld-elf.so.hints just fine, and so all the
elf binaries I just installed work fine.  The problem is I cannot get it
to create /var/run/ld.so.hints, and so I currently have no access to X or
any of my ports! (At least the binary ones).  I set up the ldconfig in
rc.conf and I have also tried command line.  Here is what my libraries
look like:

/usr/lib -> elf
/usr/lib/aout -> aout
/usr/local/lib -> aout
/usr/local/lib/aout -> empty
/usr/X11R6/lib -> aout
/usr/X11R6/lib/aout -> empty.

Just to clarify things, it does not even load /usr/lib/aout.  Before I go
and reinstall X and my ports from the ground up (Ugh!), is there something
I am not doing, or did somebody screw up ldconfig recently?

Jonathan Fosburgh
Home Page:
http://www.geocities.com/vienna/1498
Manager, FreeBSD Webring: