Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 20:51:11 +0900
From:      Kenjiro Cho <kjc@csl.sony.co.jp>
To:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   altq for ppp

I've been porting ALTQ/CBQ onto the userland ppp.
Although the code needs to be cleaned up a bit more, I've decided to
make a snapshot release for discussion at USENIX.
It's available from:

	ftp://ftp.csl.sony.co.jp/pub/kjc/altq4ppp-0.1.tar.gz

---Kenjiro

>From README:

		altq4ppp -- version 0.1

				June 10, 1998

This release is a port of ALTQ (kernel version) to the userland ppp
(aka iij-ppp).  Since the bottleneck of ppp is the serial link (not
the tun interface), alternative queueing is implemented within the ppp
program.

This release is an alpha version and is not for general users but to
ask for comments and suggestions.  Testers are supposed to have
control of both ends of a dialup link.

This version supports CBQ and is intended to be used at the server
side (upstream side) of a dialup link (the current implementation
controls only outgoing packets).

The ppp part is based on the verion in FreeBSD-2.2.6-RELEASE.

Features:
 - a queueing framework as a userland program.
 - supports CBQ that controls the bandwidth use of hierarchically
   configured classes.
 - RED can be enabled on a class queue basis to keep the queue length
   short.
 - the native firewall mechanism is enhanced in order to work as a CBQ
   classifier.

There are several reasons why I made altq4ppp.

 - traffic management is more effective and easier on a slow link.
   (why not to do it?)
 - it's a shame that I have a poor dialup connection from home...
   (I already showed that ALTQ works for 100Mbps, now it's time to fix
   my everyday life!)
 - to promote traffic management to those who are frustrated by their
   dialup links.  (yes, we can do much better!)
 - promote traffic management: a userland implementation is much
   easier for many people to try out.
 - as a user program, it is easier for me to experiment with new ideas.
 - to evaluate the algorithmic details of a queueing discipline.
   (a slow link makes the measurement tools have finer relative
   granularity.)