Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 2008 12:40:19 +0100
From:      Stephen Allen <sdafreebsduk@rowyerboat.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem running 'top' when ldap is around

I've noticed that with "files ldap" in nsswitch.conf, if I try to run
"top" and the ldap server is not available, it takes about a minute to
start showing information, whereas normally it's instantaneous.

The problem seems to be the mapping of uid numbers to usernames (the -u
options prevents this).  The man page says:

"Normally, top will read as much of the file "/etc/passwd" as is
necessary to  map  all the user id numbers it encounters into login names"

So my question is, top must be finding a uid number that it can't match
in /etc/passwd, then going on to search ldap.  How can this be?

Thanks,
Steve :)