Date:      Thu, 9 Apr 1998 21:50:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        nordwick@scam.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
Cc:        fpawlak@execpc.com, toor@dyson.iquest.net, brett@lariat.org, mike@smith.net.au, dshanes@personalogic.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[4]: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the  Internet"

Jason Nordwick <nordwick@scam.XCF.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:

> Frank Pawlak, on Thu 4/9/1998, wrote the following:
> >
> > Such is true.  I am a "newish" FreeBSD user and SuSE Linux reseller.
> > see a ready market for free "low cost" software in college
> bookstores,
> > particularly those universities that have computer engineering and
> > comsci departments.  Part of evangelism is marketing and market
> > presence.  Having this OS on display at universities will attract a
> > young audience the very people that are evangelizing Linux.
> > Frank
> >

> Would it be possible to have the Walnut Creek CDs in
> computer/bookstores,
> as I see the Linux CDs ?
>
> What would this take, just calling and marketing ?

Yes that could be the case.  It is hard to justify a personal visit with
a relatively low cost product such as we are talking about here.

The other issue is how to college bookstores view their shelf space.
Normal stores run on profit dollars per square foot of shelf space, with
the low and slow movers getting the boot.  I wouldn't think that college
bookstore are manage quite this tightly  but could be wrong.

Telemarketing or product on consignment maybe that way to get started.

Another idea that I've had is that those of use that are going to
college make a call on the bookstore manager and try to sell them on
FreeBSD.  There could be legal issues here with WC CDROM because someone
acting as a sales person is an agent of the organization.

CompSci and Computer Engineering Deptartment heads etc., maybe prime
prospects for a freeby copy to seed that effort.

Like any marketing effort this would have to be planed out a bit to get
desired results.

Frank