Date:      Sat, 25 May 1996 04:16:01 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        rnordier@iafrica.com, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, stephen@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk, terry@lambert.org
Subject:   Re: editors

Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> > Hmm.  Half the trouble with the whole 'editors' thread is that
> > people simply aren't digging deep enough to recall some of the
> > really hairy, insane, and plain disgusting text editors around.
> >
> > If is all very well for some to dismiss 'vi' as an abomination,
> > but....
> >
> > Anyone with a VMS background remember TECO?
>
> TECO predates VMS and the VAX by a Decade or so, try ``Anyone with a
> DEC PDP-8 OS/8 background remeber TECO?'', circa 1968.  And yes, TECO
> was the first editor I ever learned... and remeber this was in the
> days of the ASR33 and Tektronics 4002 DVST terminals.

True, but we're still not going back far enough. :)

Dan Murphy wrote TECO - in the days when it was still (paper) _Tape_
Editor and Corrector - originally for the PDP-1.  This was even in
the largely pre-terminal, pre-ASCII days.  The first TECO used a
6-bit character set called FIO-DEC; and ASCII came along with a
port to the PDP-6.

Good to hear from a genuine TECO user.  I guess Emacs has quite an
ancestry.

--
Robert Nordier