Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 1996 08:23:01 -0600 (CST)
From:      john@starfire.mn.org
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Inappropriate/inconsistent EEXIST from ioctl(sockfd, SIOCAIFADDR,...)

The problem I am having is that when I use the "ipdefault" (that is,
not noipdefault) for PPP connections coming to me, everything works
as expected for awhile, with the local end of the PPP connections
using the IP address of my primary, permanent network adapter.  Then,
for reasons I have not been able to nail down, after several cycles of
connecting and disconnecting (sometimes as few as two, sometimes several)
PPPD will start getting EEXIST from the ioctl call mentioned above.  I
have tracked this call back through the code in sys/netinet/in.c and
into rtrequest in sys/net/route.c at which point I found I was in "over
my head".  I can read the basic functionality of the code, but I don't
have the big picture of what is being (or supposed to be) done here.

I have been putting print statements in to trace the operation of things,
but I really feel I need a little mentoring, coaching, or guidance to
move forward.  I am quite willing to do the work on sorting this out, if
I could get a few hints.

I have been working with ppp-2.3b3.  My system is largely 2.1-R, but I
have gotten some significant networking components from 2.1.5-R, and
sifting through the commit logs (perhaps poorly) I haven't seen a lot
of recent activity in the affected areas.

I have contacted Paul Mackerras, and he says he has had no other reports
of this behavior, but would be happy to know if the deficiency lies in
the ppp code in any way.

		 John Lind, Starfire Consulting Services
E-mail: john@starfire.MN.ORG	    USnail: PO Box 17247, Mpls MN  55417