Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 1998 15:46:53 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        daniel_sobral@voga.com.br
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make_device_driver.sh

daniel_sobral@voga.com.br scribbled this message on Jan 7:
> Ok, I have some partial diffs to make it create a LKM squeleton too. The
> main problem is that io base address and irq number must be hardwired into
> the lkm's Makefile, and that's not too desirable, is it? Is there any
> (easy) way around this?

well... not to discourage you from working on examples, but there isn't
any way to dynamicly load an isa device driver, but you can do that with
pci devices though...

soon, when I've completed the bus/device code, then this will be possible,
but at the same time, the current LKM system will be replaced with the
kld system, so there won't be any "special" handling of dynamicly loaded
modules, just special handling of brain-dead not upgraded devices that
don't support unloading..

> Another thing... I don't know how to do the same to make_pseudo_driver.sh.
> Apart from that, I should submit the PR later today.

you don't need to...  it is already handled by the PSEUDO_SET that
changes definitions depending upon PSEUDO_LKM (see sys/sys/kernel.h
and lkm/if_ppp/Makefile)...

ttyl..

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD