Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 2002 14:19:56 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
To:        ivan_alb@agava.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Panic = System crash 8 times in 4 days

From: "Ivan Albetkov" <ivan_alb@agava.com>

> I meant not the "-i" key, but name of the module that is loaded near
> 0xc10bfxxx address.
>
> > Id Refs Address    Size     Name
> >  1    3 0xc0100000 252084   kernel
> >  2    1 0xc10b1000 c3000    vinum.ko
> >  3    1 0xc126b000 2000     star_saver.ko
> > #
> >

> I think that all your trobles are caused by vinum. But i'm not sure :)
> Obviosly, it caused panic. But why? May be it's some sort of
> hardware-related problem?
>
> What about this message:
> ad2: UDMA ICRC error reading fsbn 0 (ad2 bn 0; cn 0 tn 0 sn 0)
retrying
> ad2: UDMA ICRC error reading fsbn 0 (ad2 bn 0; cn 0 tn 0 sn 0)
retrying
> ad2: UDMA ICRC error reading fsbn 0 (ad2 bn 0; cn 0 tn 0 sn 0)
retrying
> ad2: UDMA ICRC error reading fsbn 0 (ad2 bn 0; cn 0 tn 0 sn 0) falling
> back to PIO mode

Thanks Ivan.

I know my hardware is not the best.  I will be installing the correct
IDE cable in the second controller as soon as I can get to the site.

BUT: This server had about 40 days uptime without any problems while it
was on 4.6.1.  Then, since Sunday when I did make world to 4.6.2, it
started to crash regularly.  Is this really a hardware problem?

Regards,
Patrick O'Reilly.
    http://www.perimeter.co.za