Date:      Mon, 05 Oct 1998 15:21:54 -0400
From:      Jerry Hicks <jhicks@glenatl.glenayre.com>
To:        "Christopher G. Petrilli" <petrilli@amber.org>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Command-line i/f (Re: PicoBSD)

[no need to repeat all that :)]
> Remember, PicoBSD is designed to be small and simple, choosing obtuse
> (for most people) languages as extension sets is just plain SILLY.
>
> BTW, this is no flame, I used to write Forht code.
> Chris

I see... so that's when you learned how to spell it?   :-)

Seriously, I think your concerns about RPN are exaggerated.  While programming
languages become a religious topic for some, it's also a bit of a stretch to
label Forth an obtuse language simply because of its postfix notation.

Remember, Lisp uses 'notInfix' notation and this doesn't seem to be hampering
Emacs in the least.  All indications are that its user base is growing.

But then again maybe my concerns about space might be exaggerated too. I've
rolled quite a few custom PicoBSD's here (including one with an auxiliary disk
to provide Perl for PicoBSD).  We are constantly trying to find just a few
more bytes to accomodate more functionality.

There are even LALR(1) parser and lexical scanner generators written in Forth
which could help us implement a command set with infix notation.  All in a
very small space which has predictable runtime requirements.

How would we do that with Perl or TCL?

Maybe I _am_ just being SILLY... thanks for pointing that out without flaming
me.

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
wghicks@bellsouth.net