Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 2014 19:35:56 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        Justin Hibbits <jrh29@alumni.cwru.edu>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jean-S=E9bastien_P=E9dron?= <jean-sebastien.pedron@dumbbell.fr>, FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: The default driver/mode used for PowerMac G5 Radeon 9800PRO's messes up all normal text display by default...

Hi.

FYI: I've been building and trying Jean-S=E9bastien P=E9dron's =
kms-drm-update-38 branch when Jean requested (sometimes with patches =
that Jean provided). This was to give Jean some (indirect) access to a =
powerpc64 (PowerMac G5) Radeon context for some radeonkms development. =
(Jean had been hoping to get my card going in that context.) We got to =
the point that a kldload for radeonkms did not complain/refuse but the =
display was then munged up and the driver could not find the Video BIOS. =
The fact that it is a Radeon X1950 for the video hardware may make it =
odder than usual for PowerMac G5 Radeons. But it is the only Radeon that =
I have access to for G5's. (The card works in Mac OS X 10.5.)

As for my using the G5s on my own: In more recent times I build =
powerpc64/GENRIC64 10.x variants with both vt and sc (so no ps3 support =
since it does not have sc support). Then I boot whichever seems to work =
best for the video hardware, display size, and usage combination that I =
intend. (I tend to move the same SSD between G5 contexts.)

I also have access to a NVIDIA card I could put in place instead if I =
wanted or needed to. But that would duplicate another PowerMac G5 =
context that I have access to.

My FreeBSD activity is personal and my work activity in recent times has =
stopped me from being noticeably active with FreeBSD for a while: I've =
basically only been occasionally doing something Jean has requested. So =
the above material is actually old and technically I do not yet know =
what a vt and sc (no ps3) 10.1-RELEASE variant would be like for the =
issues. (Not that I expect a lot of changes of status from early =
November.) When I get back to FreeBSD I'll probably track 10.1-STABLE =
mostly as far as strictly personal use goes.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net

On Nov 21, 2014, at 3:43 PM, Justin Hibbits <jrh29 at alumni.cwru.edu> =