Date:      Sun, 15 Jul 2012 16:05:54 -0400
From:      mrkvrg <mrkvrg@acm.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is there a way to run FreeBSD ports through port 80?

Hello All,

I have a similar problem with passive ftp due to a self-imposed=20
restrictive firewall.  When "make fetch" is run on a port and ftp data=20
is required, the PF firewall stops the program from completing.  I got=20
around this problem by restarting the firewall with a separate set of=20
rules that opened up more ports needed for passive ftp.  After the fetch=20
operation I would then restart PF with the more restrictive rules.  This=20
sequence works but is a pain to maintain and also opens up a large=20
number of ports during ftp operations.  I would like to have a setup in=20
which I do not have to restart my firewall every time I need to use=20
passive ftp.

=46rom past experience setting MASTER_SORT to http works for those ports=20
that use http but obviously has not worked for those ports that ONLY use=20
ftp.

I tried to use ftp-proxy but as far as I'm able to ascertain it will not=20
work on my simple home office setup.  It is a single client connected to=20
the internet via a router:

  host <--> router <--> adsl modem <--> ISP.

Any help to resolve this will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers ...

Mark