Date:      Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:46:51 +0200
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@FreeBSD.org>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ida problems, one disk broken = system very slow

Hi!

A customer has a machine with four disks in RAID 10 using the ida(8)
controller on FreeBSD-4.11.

Now one disk is broken. I have some questions:

1. How can I detect that a disk in a raid cluster is broken? It seems
natural to me that the raid driver would log info about a broken disk, but
I have not seen this happen with any raid controller driver.

2. The system is extremely slow and hardly usable right now. The customer
are still waiting for a replacement disk. Is there any way to get the
system to just ignore the broken disk instead of trying to use it and fail.
I get thousands of "ida0: soft error" in messages log. If the system would
realize that it had problems with the disk, and ignore them, perhaps it
wouldn't become unsable,

3. Will the array rebuild automatically once they insert the new disk?

/Palle