Date:      Sat, 6 Apr 1996 10:25:59 +0100 (BST)
From:      Chris Stenton <jacs@gnome.co.uk>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        nate@sri.MT.net
Subject:    Re: talk not connecting to remote machines.

Jordan K. Hubbard says:

>> Hmmm..  I can't say I've had the same experience.  What sorts of
>> machines are you trying to talk to?
>>
>> 					Jordan
>>
>> > I am not sure if this a fault with all versions of FreeBSD but the
>> > "talk" prog only seems to work when connecting to local users. If you
>> > either try to initiate or respond to a talk session on a remote
>> > machine the remote machine does not respond.

Ok the machines I have tried and failed on are Linux and ULTRIX V4.2A.

When I imitate a talk session FROM these machines I get a "talk
connection requested" message on my FreeBSD Box but when I try and

[No connection yet]
[Checking for invitation on caller's machine]
.
.

Both are obviously running ntalk as I would not get a message from the
Talk_Daemon.

On the positive side I powered up my Acorn RISCiX machine (4.3BSD)
and that connected fine.

I would have thought someone else would have noticed the problem
connecting to Linux or does nobody else talk to Linux users :-)

Chris