Date:      Sat, 4 May 2002 09:41:50 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
Cc:        doconnor@gsoft.com.au, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org, wes@softweyr.com, dunham@dunham.org, jdunham@m3designinc.com, jdunham@texas.net
Subject:   Re: Ad-Hoc with Windows?

On Friday,  3 May 2002 at 17:58:01 -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <20020504092022.J12386@wantadilla.lemis.com>
>>>
>>> ad-hoc is insufficient.  We should create a media option like OpenBSD
>>> has called master-ibss which does the right thing for the different
>>> types of hardware.
>>
>> Why master-ibss?  What's the difference between that and IBSS?  I
>> haven't found this term in the standard.
>
> 'ibss-master' is the master ibss you need one of these.  'ibss' is for
> all the other nodes on the network.  This is approximately the -c
> flag.

OK, what does the IBSS master do that the others don't?  My
understanding was that it basically supplies a BSSID, and that the
stations continue to talk directly to each other.  That's certainly
what the signal strength indications tell me, anyway: I have the IBSS
machine (also gateway) quite some distance from the other two machines
in the network, which are close to each other.  The signal strength
indications reflect this.

>>> Lucent cards are the only ones I've seen that have good signal
>>> indication.  However, it is in wicontrol -C only, not in the normal
>>> wicontrol output.
>>
>> Ah, interesting.  On one machine (running CURRENT from 12 December
>> 2001), it only shows the last machine contacted, but on a more recent
>> CURRENT it shows at least two of them.  Is this a difference in the
>> cards or in CURRENT?
>
> It does it at the mac level, so only those mac addresses that you are
> talking to will have entries.  I routinely get 10 or so when I connect
> via an access point.

Hmm, this isn't what the IBSS machine is showing.  I'll play around
with it, maybe.

>>> Finally, a lot of stuff is in flux right now :-)
>>
>> I can't see anything significant in the drivers.  For me, it Just
>> Works.
>
> The hostap stuff is in flux.

Ah, OK.  Anything you can say about it?

Greg