Date:      Thu, 04 Dec 2003 19:09:36 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreshPorts fraud

Dan Langille wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>Today I was told about freshports.net which was passing itself off as
>FreshPorts.org and asking for donations.  If you sent money there
>thinking it was going to FreshPorts.org, you may wish to contact
>Paypal and ask for a refund.
>
>To their credit, they removed my material from their website promptly
>after my request to do so.
>
>More information here: http://www.freshports.org/fraud/

Youch!  Makes me feel better about what happened
to me this week.  A client we'll call "foochurch" used
to be "foochurch.com"; we dropped it some months
ago after trouble with NetSol/Verisign and went to
"foochurch.org", which is more in line with what a
church should be, anyhow.

So over the (US) Thanksgiving holiday, some member
of theirs hits an outdated bookmark to foochurch.com
and sees a teenage girl Sunday School class who forgot
to put on their Sunday best...someone's buying expired
names and redirecting....darn near thought I'd
lose a client when that happened.

I'd say you might have a better chance at legal recompense,
but lawyers willing to touch International cases are no doubt
too much for the average operator's budget.  Sure does look
like "IP theft" though....

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.