Date:      Sun, 9 Nov 2003 02:22:54 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.9 and Real Tec rtl 8169s ?

David Raistrick <drais@wow.atlasta.net> wrote:

 > > are there any other recommendations for cheap Gigabit cards?
 >
 > How cheap is cheap?  I just got a few Intel Pro/1000 MT desktop cards for
 > 42$ each.  To me, that's cheap....

Here in Germany, the Realtek cards are going for 29 Euro
(which is about 25 $US, I think), and a complete gigabit
kit -- two cards, a 5-port gigabit switch, two cables --
for 129 Euro (110 $US).

Regards
   Oliver

(Remembering times when 10base-T was on that price level ...)

"... there are two ways of constructing a software design:  One way
is to make it so simple that there are _obviously_ no deficiencies and
the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no _obvious_
deficiencies."        -- C.A.R. Hoare, ACM Turing Award Lecture, 1980