Date:      Thu, 11 Feb 1999 22:33:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Fyodor <fyodor@dhp.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        scrappy@hub.org, nmap-hackers@insecure.org
Subject:   Re: An Operating Systems Survey, of sorts...

on Thu, 11 Feb 1999 in freebsd-chat, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> I reduced nmap-services down to about 10 or so of the "core" ones...the
> results are much cleaner, and, appear to be, more accurate, then using
> QueSO...but its one helluva lot slower...

You should be able to get it going much faster than Queso, but you need to
use the right arguments to suit what you are trying to do.  Here is
the approximate command line I would suggest:

nmap -i <iplist> -m output_file -n -O -sS -p21,22,23,25,80,139

The first part (-i iplist) is crucial.  Nmap starts up in a very slow,
conservative mode just in case the user is scanning some host on another
continent while using a 300 baud modem which shares bandwidth with a major
porn server.  If you give nmap a big list with -i, it will use previous
tests to benchmark your network performance and should quickly speed up.
If you run a separate execution of nmap for each IP, you will always be in
the initial slow mode.  Using a list of IPs rather than hostnames is
preferable so that nmap doesn't have to resolve them (not a big deal).

The -n argument tells nmap not to reverse-resolve the hosts you give
it.  For your purposes, there is no point in wasting time doing this.

The -sS (SYN scan) should be fast enough and is more courteous since most
sytems won't waste disk space logging it :).  -sT might be a little faster
in some cases.

The -p argument is very important since by default nmap scans more than
2000 common ports.  You said you trimmed nmap-services.  This should work
fine * as long as you use -F *.  Otherwise nmap will still scan ports
1-1024.  Using a few more ports than I have up there won't hurt you much
(they are done in parallel).  But scanning thousands of ports will cost
you.

These options should give you plenty of performance, but if you need more
you can reduce the number of retries nmap performs on unrecognized hosts
(in osscan.c) and perhaps reduce the PING_TIMEOUT in nmap.h.  Then
recompile.

Cheers,
Fyodor

--