Date:      30 Aug 1999 10:43:14 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        "Abdullah Bin Hamad." <arabian@nac.net>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <FreeBSD-ISP@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs SunOS/Solaris

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999 04:48:53 +0300, "Abdullah Bin Hamad." <arabian@nac.net> said:

Abdullah> Hello folks, Why someone would choose FreeDSD for his ISP
Abdullah> instead of SunOS/Solaris ?

Abdullah> An ISP has 14k Dialup users.

Abdullah> What could FreeBSD provide to an ISP more than SunOS/Solairs
Abdullah> ?

Abdullah> Should the ISP run the mail server on differnet machine, and
Abdullah> named on saprate machine ..etc?

Abdullah> Could someone who was using SunOS/Solaris give me more
Abdullah> details.

I help run one, but more like 2K dialup users instead of 14K (at this
time). We use FreeBSD because of its cost, additional hardware is
cheap and easy to find in case of emergency,  and because it's stable and
fast. I particularly like the fact that if I want to use some software
package (e.g., Apache+mod_ssl, Cistron RADIUS, MRTG, ...) it's trivial
to build from the ports collection.

I help run another smallish ISP and use Sun there because it was
donated hardware. Much harder and more expensive to upgrade the
hardware, Solaris isn't *nearly* as fast, and it's harder to get OS
bugs fixed. Building packages isn't as trivial as on FreeBSD.
I'd go FreeBSD at this ISP if I had my way.

At the first ISP we run mail, web, and RADIUS on a different machines
-- the last for security, and the former for scalability. It would be
easier to combine them (don't have to keep passwords in sync) but
harder to grow the operation I think. What I'd like eventually to do
is get all the passwords for RADIUS, FTP, POP out of the /etc/passwd
file and into an application level database so there'd be no chance of
system-level login for the customers and copying this authentication
database wouldn't be so sensitive. I know it's doable now, just would
take a lot of time I don't have right now.