Date:      Fri, 30 May 1997 09:29:29 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSd Chat list)
Cc:        francisco@natserv.com (Francisco Reyes)
Subject:   Re: IDE or Ultra SCSI

As Francisco Reyes wrote:

> I have been agonizing for a few days trying to decide whether to get
> IDE or Ultra SCSI.

For me, the question would be quite simple to answer. :-) But i don't
have an IDE drive at all, but two SCSI buses in each of my machines at
work and home. :)

IDE is in theory as fast as SCSI.  However, we don't support busmaster
DMA for IDE yet, and thus you eat up valuable CPU cycles with an IDE
drive, that could be spent better in serving processes on a
multiprocessing system.

Also, i basically love the flexibility with SCSI.  Two devices vs.
seven devices per bus makes a difference for me.  I am currently using
or have been using the following classes of devices: fixed disk,
optical disk, CD-ROM, CD-ROM changer, CD-R, scanner, various tape
drives.  IDE will have to go a very long way still until they can
provide this variety (and even longer until they'll have it hot-
pluggable ;-).

SCSI is a standard, while the ATA specs is something that dares to
call itself a standard, but is in fact a pile of crap not worth the
100+ pages of paper you use to print it on.  Have a look there if you
don't believe me.  I'm always impressed again that it works a little
bit at all, hats off to Søren for the basically working ATAPI CD-ROM
driver.  After reading this so-called standard, the only impression
you get is that all this _cannot_ work.  At least, not reliably.  (You
get this at least, if you've read SCSI before.)

``Ultra'' is more of a marketing gag than real value, it just means
``use double the clock rate, and allow for only half the cable
length''.  Fortunately, you can turn it off.  With only one ore two
disks, you don't need the peak transfer rate anyway, and the slow
peripherals don't account much to the bus saturation.

> The difference in price betwen IDE and Ultra is about $700. Is it worth
> it?

Why is it so much?  You don't necessarily need the expensive Adaptecs.
I'm using two AHA-2940 at work, but two NCR 53c810 at home.  Both
systems work fine, and i don't see a burning need to spend so much
more money into the Adaptecs.  (I also used to run mixed NCR/Adaptec
at home, and have only bought a second NCR since i needed to free up
the Adaptec i've borrowed from my employer.  The mix system worked
well, too.)

--
cheers, J"org