Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 16:22:49 +0000
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        "Hubert T. Yamada" <yamada@ifa.hawaii.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Who writes the esoteric scientific Unix apps?

The reason I ask this question is because this is the field I'm in.
I develop data acquisition/analysis software, and it's loads of fun.
But this seems to be an area where there is very little commercial
support in Unix, at leas that I am aware of.

Much of what we sell is used by universities and other educational and
research institutions.  Since they are so cost conscious, I would
imagine that having the stability of Unix and near zero cost would be a
good thing for them.  However, the desktop standard, as we know all too
well, is not propitious for such an avenue.  Add to that the fact that
even PhD's expect to be able to click a button to do everything these
days, and it makes things even more difficult.  I would think running
somewhat open applications on an open OS would be a field ripe for the
taking.  But then again, what do I know about business and marketing?
;-)

jm
--
My other computer is your windows box.