Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 2003 13:32:11 +0200
From:      "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@nitro.dk>
To:        Hiroki Sato <hrs@eos.ocn.ne.jp>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: suggestion for adding a l10n-capable doc-format navi

--rwEMma7ioTxnRzrJ

On 2003.04.20 19:52:05 +0900, Hiroki Sato wrote:

>  How about the following:
>=20
>   1) WITH_FOO is defined and WITH_FOO!=3DNO, it means YES.
>   2) WITH_FOO is defined and WITH_FOO=3D=3DNO, it means NO.
>   3) WITH_FOO is not defined, it means NO.

Personally I think this is a bad idea since most other places in the
FreeBSD makefiles it is only important if the variabel is set or not.

>  A problem of that defining of WITH_FOO always means YES is that
>  we cannot disable it if it is enabled by default in Makefile
>  using WITH_FOO?=3DYES.  But as you pointed out, in other places
>  this sort of variables that is defined mean YES regardless of what
>  the value was.  The above behavior is not against the old one, I think.

The way the disabled case is handled some other places is by using a
NO_FOO or NOFOO variable which then takes precedents over the WITH_FOO
variable e.g. by :

=2Eif defined(NO_FOO)
=2Eundef WITH_FOO
=2Eendif

I know this seems more troublesome but IMHO it is preferable since it is
more consitent with all the other FreeBSD makefiles.

I think it would be more intuitive if setting a make variable to NO
really disabled the variable in all the FreeBSD makefiles but since it
doesn't I think it is more or less impossible to remember when using NO
is ok and when it is not.

I know this seems like a bike shed (and probably is a bit) but I think
consitency is rather important.

--=20
Simon L. Nielsen

--rwEMma7ioTxnRzrJ