Date:      Sat, 23 Jan 1999 19:26:33 -0600 (CST)
From:      Avalon Books <avalon@advicom.net>
To:        William McVey <wam@sa.fedex.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I4B support for US ISDN?

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, William McVey wrote:

> * The two references which seemed to have the most content were Bellcore's
> site at http://www.bellcore.com/ISDN/ and the North American ISDN Users'
> Forum at http://www.niuf.nist.gov/misc/niuf.html

   Lucky for us in the U.S., we can use the existing PPP code for our
TA's, or switch to routers (my personal favorite), making I4B needlessly
redundant. And as expected, your inquiry has drawn a less-than-
enthusiastic response from our european counter-parts. I have no idea why
they give Americans such a frosty reception when we express an interest in
ISDN...

   Lately, I've been testing an Alpha Telecom UTA120 terminal adapter
connected to a Boca Research IO650 card (16C650 UARTS), using the existing
serial port and PPP code without modification. It runs great and
through-put is exactly as expected. My new router (the Mucho 3) comes in
next month (combo ISDN router and Ethernet Hub)...

   After reviewing the I4B package myself (with the help of my engineering
contacts), I have yet to see where it would provide substantially better
support for our (U.S.) ISDN equipment over the existing packages within
the "stock" FreeBSD distributions--though I4B shows the marks of both
excellent programming and proper research (hats off the the authors).

   Of course, we don't normally have to deal with the issue of fully
self-supporting drivers. Virtually all the ISDN equipment available in the
U.S. is connected via seri~al (aka Terminal Adapter) or Ethernet (aka
Router). I4B seems to be a good choice if you have something that doesn't
fall into either category.

-- R. Pelletier
Sys Admin, House Galiagante
We are a Micro$oft-free site.