Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 1996 16:44:12 -0700
From:      David McNab <mcnab@bayarea.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PentiumPro Motherboards

     I've been asked to find a good P6 m/b for use in a
set of FreeBSD machines we're buying instead of our
usual overpriced SGI's.  (No thanks, I would rather not
pay $8,000 for 128MB of memory...)

     I've heard from reliable sources that the Intel
Aurora (sorry, "Performance/AU") motherboard (sorry,
"baseboard") works well with 200Mhz P6 (sorry,
"PentiumPro") CPUs and FreeBSD.

     However, for some strange reason, I would /prefer/
not to buy Intel boards.  So I've been looking at the
ASUS P/E-P6RP7D board instead.  It looks fine, except
that the PCI chipset is listed as "Intel 82450GX
(Orion)", whereas the Intel documentation on the Aurora
board says it uses the "82450 PCISet" chipset, the
sub-components of which all seem to end with "KX".

     Anyone know if the PCI chipset on the ASUS board
the same as on the Aurora?  Does the magic "GX" make
all the difference?  Anyone actually own or use one of
these ASUS boards?  (The main thing I'm concerned about
is the PCI-write bug, although if there are other
things to watch out for I'd like to hear about them.)

     BTW, I have found surprisingly little good
information on motherboards out on the Web.  Are there
some good sites I'm missing, or is it just a confusing
subject?

  -- Dave McNab