Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 2000 04:10:32 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shells

> Two reasons of the top of my head: GPL'd and gratuitously incompatible.

GPL'd things go into /usr/src/gnu - no big deal.  If we were overly
squeamish about the GPL then we wouldn't have "grep" or a compiler
toolchain either, among other things, and I doubt anybody's arguing
for killing those.  The ash shell is just bad enough that I'd consider
a change of license for a truly functional shell out-of-the-box to
be a more than acceptable trade-off.

As to the second argument, you'll have to explain yourself, sonny. :)

- Jordan