Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 1995 18:32:50 +0900
From:      hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi)
To:        matt@lkg.dec.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: FDDI driver for FreeBSD

In article <199504171025.KAA27787@whydos.lkg.dec.com>
matt@lkg.dec.com writes:

>> There is a man page for the device (man fpa or man fea).

Thank you.

>> It's in sys/pci (if_pdq.c and pdq.c).  You need to pick up if_pdq.c and
>> pdq.c from -current since I have since made a few important bug fixes.
>>
>> The driver is fully functional (in fact I switched my FreeBSD system
>> over to the building FDDI so that I don't even use Ethernet anymore).

I only asked DEC Japan about the availability of this board in Japan,
but they rent this board to us for test and evaluation under FreeBSD
(Very nice company! Thanks!).

The board they rent to us has FDDI DAS ports.  I tested it with your
driver on two Pentium/90 PCI machines.  One is Gateway 2000 P5-90 and
the other is shop-brand machine with Neptune Chipset.

It works fine on formar machine, but it did not work on latter
machine.  It receives packets about only once per about 30 seconds.  I
think it receives bulk packets when the RIP packet arrives.  I think
the error on management or transmission of tokens causes this problem
on this environment.

>> I was doing some testing last Friday between a DECpc XL 590 and an
>> AlphaStation 400 4/233.  Using ttcp I could get over 10MB/s transmit
>> throughput over TCP and 12.3MB/s over UDP.

We couldn't test it on local FDDI network because of the lack of
appropriate cables (This board requires SC cable, but we have no
SC-MIC cables).

So, we tested this board on following environment.

Gateway 2000	------	Cisco 4500	------	SparcStation20
P5-90		------	FDDI Router	------	Cisco FDDI board
DEC FDDI board

The result of ttcp via TCP is about 40Mbps.  The ftp throughput
(between buffer cache and /dev/null) is about 30-35Mbps.  Please note
that the Cisco 4500 would be the bottleneck of this benchmark test.

We'll test this board on a local FDDI network in a few days.

BTW, does your driver works on DEC PCI CDDI/TP boards?  If it works,
we'll buy some boards because we have many empty CDDI concentrator
jacks.

Thanks.

--
	HOSOKAWA, Tatsumi              E-mail: hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp