Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 1998 10:23:50 -0500
From:      Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        witr@rwwa.com, bwithrow@baynetworks.com
Subject:   NFS probs with 3.0 and earlier releases.

I have a NFS interop problem in 3.0 (very severe) and some earlier
versions (2.2.7 and 2.2.6 at least, not as severe).  NFS to a specific
mount seems to ocationally go deaf, but later restores itself.  Other
mountpoints are unaffected.  The problem is repeatable, but it
is hard to duplicate in a simple way!  An example:

All of these NFS volumes are automounted using AMD, and this includes
my home directory.  I can log on using a virtual terminal at the console
and four volumes automount correctly and are accessable, including my
home directory.  I can then switch to the XDM running on a different VT,
and log in and my home directory NSF mount will suddenly go deaf!  Even
on the other VT.  All other mountpoints are fine, and I can mount other
filesystems with no problems.  Usually, after a variable amount of time,
NFS seems to get over it, and I can access the directory on both sessions.

While this is going on, I can go to another computer and access the home
directory without problems, so I am pretty sure the server isn't hung.

This problem seems to *only* occur when I log into an X session, and *never*
when I log into a simple VT session.

Usually (on 2.2.6 and 2.2.7) this problem only occurs *once*.  I can forcably
dis-mount the various file systems and then log in over the X session and
everything is fine.  On 3.0 though, it appears that the home-directory mount
goes deaf again at later times.  In the system log I get these:

Nov 19 18:02:18 kyzyl /kernel: nfs server pizzahut:/home/bwithrow: not
responding
Nov 19 18:02:51 kyzyl /kernel: nfs server pizzahut:/home/bwithrow: is alive
again

I believe the server above is a NAC box, but I'm not sure.  I also think
that some of the other filesystems I mount are also NAC boxes, and don't
seem to display this problem...

I will willingly work with anyone who knows something about this, but I
am lost as to what is going on.  If necessary I can sniff the network.
3.0 seems so great that I can't wait to get it on-line, but this is a
blocker for me, so any help will be returned with un-dying gratitude!