Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 1996 08:43:32 PST
From:      Brian Smith <brians@mandor.dev.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: A simple way to crash your system.

Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com> writes:
>I understand this, but you also have to realize that many people don't
>understand the fragile china approach (and with justification - how
>*would* one generally know?) and it's a real setback to have your UFS
>filesystems blown away too. :-)

Agreed!  But, it really is a useful feature, even if you have to walk on
eggshells.  We have drives that are dangerously dedicated, now we can
have partitions that are dangerously mounted. :-)

>I'd welcome some compromise solutions, otherwise I think it's simply
>too dangerous to advertise, explicitly or implicitly, as a feature.

What I really would like (if possible) is a means where the FS is kept
in the distribution, but made difficult to use for newbies.  Kind of like
LFS and union FS, where you specifically have to make a new kernel.  Label
it experimental, and maybe put kernel printf's in the mount routine that
say "Reboot! Reboot! Abandon all hope, ye who mount this FS." ;)

Removing it from the GENERIC kernel, not distributing the LKM, and
perhaps some dire warnings in the LINT configuration might do the trick.

Brian
brians@mandor.dev.com