Date:      Mon, 04 Jun 2007 19:35:11 +0200
From:      Zbigniew Szalbot <zbyszek@szalbot.homedns.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: total system freeze - where to look for more information

Hello,

Zbigniew Szalbot pisze:

> Dear all,
>
> Today - for the first time ever - I have a total system freeze. It
> occured after 105 days of uninterrupted work. The freeze was
> unrecoverable because even though I attached a screen to the machine, I
> was not able to do anything with it. I had to hard-reboot it.
>
> dmesg.today has just one line (and dmesg.yestarday is empty).
>
> pid 25536 (portmanager), uid 0: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)
>
> This file was modified at night so it does not contain any useful
> information.
>
> Where can I look for more information? The only thing that comes to my
> mind is that today I installed denyhosts-2.6. It is possible that the
> freeze occured during dump operation which is done to a network drive
> mounted via mount_nfs option.

Could the dump operation (a very likely reason for the crash) freeze the
system. I am thinking of the following scenario. The dump operation to a
network share is underway. For some reason, the LAN network connection
is unavailable for a short time. Dump freezes and never recovers as it
cannot continue its operation. I went back to the box two hours after
the dump operation had started but the box (FBSD machine) did not
respond to physically connected keyboard and screen. The dump file on
the network is shown to have 0 KB. Thanks for any info!