Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 10:01:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Heads up:  block devices to disappear!

Terry Lambert writes:
> had in no other fashion.  Let's meake sure that the block device interface
> is not in the same [complex but useful - ed.] category before summarily
> executing it.

 In a similar context - I'd like to ask some simple questions.

 Can anyone clearly state why they were needed in UNIX at it's offset?

 Once that is understood - is it still the case, or has it been obviated
 in some way?

 I believe answers to these questions would be illuminating for the
 nervous amongst us (I count myself in the 'nervous' category on this one.)

 The reason I call for caution is simple - these have been with UNIX
 a long time... if they could have been simplified at the offset, why
 weren't they?  What's different now?

 I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'd just like to understand what's
 changed from 20+ years ago...

	- Dave Rivers -