Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 2003 11:08:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      Lute Mullenix <lute@cableone.net>
To:        Trish <failte@sentex.net>
Cc:        rob copsey <robc@execpc.com>
Subject:   Re[4]: Invalid Partion - help on setting up loader

Hi Trish & Rob,

>From what I have gathered from the past couple of years of watching this
list is it's for the newbies that want to share their triumphs and defeats
with FBSD. Also to lend moral support to others.

In a way I feel lucky that I got into computing before the mass support
thing was in place, and I was running an obscure OS (Microware's OS-9),
and when there was a problem all one could do is RTFM, so it's an
automatic starting place for me. However I do have to ask questions from
time to time, because I just can't figure it out from the handbook and
have found the questions list, and news groups quite helpful in these
cases. Guess what I'm trying to say here is if you want to run a free,
open source OS on your machine, you should be prepared to do some work
yourself. These people have given of their time and talents got offer a
wonderful OS, and significant helps resources. As users the least we can
do is learn to use what is already in place.

A while back I posted that there was finally a victory in my long running
battle to get CUPS working on my machine, which actually came from one of
the news groups. When asked what I did, in a private email I explained
what I did and what resources I utilized, with the disclaimer this is what
I did, it may not work for you. But if memory serves me on the list I said
that these types of questions should be directed to the questions list. So
just because the answer is not posted here does not always mean that help
is not offered.

Hope this didn't sound like I am standing on a soap box, it's just my
personal opinions and observations. The main thing is to have fun with
FBSD, and I do.

 Lute

************************
*   Power Provided     *
*         by           *
* FreeBSD 5.1 RELEASE  *
On Fri, 26 Dec 2003, Trish wrote:

> Hi Rob, my post was in no way intended to denigrate the worthy efforts
> of those who have gone before.  It just seems that any technical
> question has a response of read the manual and post elsewhere..so it
> was simply a tongue in cheek way of asking..what CAN you do here? :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Trish

{big ol snip}