Date:      Wed, 03 Mar 2010 21:15:04 +0100
From:      Frank Staals <frank@fstaals.net>
To:        Andreas Davour <ante@Update.UU.SE>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suitable laptop for FreeBSD?

On 03/03/10 14:48, Andreas Davour wrote:

> I am thinking of buying a new laptop, and want one which will work
> fine with FBSD. Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> It must have a connector for a external screen (i.e. a projector when
> doing presentations), wireless, ~15" screen, lots of memory, and
> optical unit, and preferable a long battery time (i.e. CPU speed is
> not that important).
>
> Webpages, own experiences or any other comparisons available?
>
> Please cc me if answering.
>
> /andreas

I am running FreeBSD (8-STABLE) on a Dell Latitude D630, and I'm very
content with it. The D630 version has a 14.1" display, but I believe
there is also a 15" version (which was called D830 if I recall
correctly).  Out of the box support for wireless (wpi) , wired (bge) ,
cpu-throtteling (cpufreq), audio (snd_hda) and the display-dimming
functionality. When I bought it battery lifetime was over 6 hours (with
a 9 cell battery) when just using browser/e-mail client/ word-processor
kind of applications. Now (I have this machine about 2.5 years now) it's
still about 3 hours, and I use it every day for at least 3 or 4 hours.
Suspend/Resume almost works; meaning it does actually suspend and
resume, unfortunately both wired and wireless are dead after resuming.

Since I never use a external monitor I do not know if that works
correctly or not. My version has an intel card but it is also possible
to obtain a laptop with a nvidia GPU. For the external monitor stuff I
guess the best bet would be an nvidia card. Anyway: the conclusion is
that it may be a good idea to take a look at Dell's range of laptops.

Good luck & Regards,

--

- Frank