Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 12:03:10 -0400
From:      Bush Doctor <dervish@goku.cl.msu.edu>
To:        Mark Tempel <mtempel@visi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

Out of da blue Mark Tempel aka (mtempel@visi.com) said:
> > On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 12:57:24PM -0700, David DeTinne wrote:
> > > Is the sparc port really dead?
> > >
> > > I have tried the other BSD's and from an average users standpoint FreeBSD is
> the best
> > > (my opinion)
> > >
> > > If a developer needs a machine I will donate my IPX to get it going.
> >
> > AFAIK the project SPARC port of FreeBSD was destined for UltraSPARCs only.
> > But that is about all I have ever heard/seen about it.
>
> I have never heard a definitive answer regarding which architecture FreeBSD
> Sparc will support.  I would guess that it will run on Sparc 4 machines if
> the developers who port it have sparc 4 machines.  If the developers get
> access to UltraSPARC machines, then it will run there...
>
> I can say that I only have a SS20 to try to port this OS with so what ever I can
> accomplish will run on Sparc 4m architecture machines...
>
> A few months ago I decided to try to port over the loader from FreeBSD
> 4.x to Sparc.  However I also decided to get married...
> Both the loader and the wedding are alot harder and more time consuming
> than I had expected...
>
> As soon as I get done with my thank you notes *sigh* I will be working on
> porting the loader again...
Hello,
Just a wondering do you have a patch set available?  I work with -current
and I have either a SS4/110 or SS5/170 to work with (I need one to run NetBSD)
I snagged an unused (at this time) Ultra 5.  I just don't know if I'll be
able to keep it as a development box.  How ever, if I start hacking on it
maybe I can.  I also have a co-worker who would be interested in helping
out.  Maybe we can get something rolling ...

> Mark Tempel

#;^)
--
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

bush doctor
<dervish@goku.cl.msu.edu>